Tuesday, 11 August 2009

Tuesday 11 August- Galta, Jaipur

Bit of a tough day this one. India is living up to all of our worries...

We visited a monkey temple today in Jaipur. They are Hindu temples, and gradually the monkeys have made it their home & there are now about 5000 in the area. The monkeys are really not very cuddly & you don't want to ge too close as they can bite. I really don't want to go to hospital for a rabies jab! It really smelt as well.

We also had a bit of a nightmare getting there and back- the rickshaw driver didn't know where it was, and neither did we. Also there are lots of people basically living in tarpaulin shacks next to the temple- which you have to walk past to get to the place. We also hassled a lot by 'guides' to show us around- except there is not a lot to see so they are basically begging.. It had rained and the children were obviously just washing themselves in the rain because they don't have access to water.

Probably our worst day yet. I am glad we are moving on to Pushkar on Friday, but some of the things we saw today are going to be in other places as well.
13/8/9- update- photos:

Claire & I near to the Sun Temple.




One of monkeys.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a tough day. I imagine its very distressing seeing people living in such poverty but you are doing your bit with the volunteer work and sadly its just not possible to help everyone :(

    I am loving your photos!

    ReplyDelete