Worked today at the womens project. I think that the session went ok.
Went in to the Old City again today. Went to visit Hawal Mahal- the Palace of Wind. This is the palace which was built for the Maharajah's wives/concubines/daughters. They could not go out in public without being completely covered up. Due to this purdah, this place was built for them & it is really lovely. It has great views of Jaipur & was designed to be cooler and offer protection from the heat. The front of it is on the front page of the blog. I have added some pictures of the inside & the views across the City.

This is one of the interior walls- facing in to a courtyard- the windows are where the women could look out but no man could look in.. Plenty of privacy for the Maharajah's shagging activity...

This is another view from the interior of the building- facing in to the courtyard. It was really hot today as well... There was also a small swimming pool where the women would bathe.
Me, contemplating women's rights in India, in the 1800's. Also thinking that a pool would be good right now. I can see what the women saw in the Maharajah!

One of the views from the very top of the building.

One of the things on the roof- I am sure there is an official name for it...

Claire standing at the very top of the building... seconds before getting lost.....
We were there until closing time & I was chased out by the security guard. Clare got herself lost and we got told off by one of the people there.
We then went to one of the bazaars for a potter around. Didn't buy anything so have not practised my haggling for real yet. However, we are getting used to agreeing prices for the rickshaws.

Good to see some photos. Do try to smile in them though.
ReplyDeleteIt was bloody hot! I was having a good day but I was sweating a lot....
ReplyDelete